I talked about Volunteerism, Climate, and Disaster Resilience before young people during the Provincial Learning Camp of the Pag-asa Youth Association of the Philippines (PYAP) – Northern Samar, held on July 11, 2026, here in my hometown of Lavezares.
I started my talk by asking the participants, “Para kanino ka bumabangon?” I took this question from a coffee commercial. I wanted them to think and ponder what keeps them going every day. Some participants answered that they get up every day for their families; others said for their dreams, while some said for their jowas. The last answer drew giggles from the room.
I assured them that all their answers were correct because they all came from their hearts. I told them that whatever or whoever they wake up for should contribute to the development of their whole personality. A well-developed person bears the fruits of genuine and wholehearted service to the family and the community. In the highest and most ideal sense of the word, service should be rendered voluntarily, without expecting anything in return.
Volunteering is a noble act of charity that no amount of material compensation can match. It is an act of self-giving so that others in need may have something more. Volunteering is priceless because what is being given is one's most valuable resource—time—which the volunteer willingly chooses to devote to others instead of spending it on activities that provide only personal pleasure.
Notwithstanding the fact that volunteering is not a glamorous endeavor and offers no material reward, the joy and fulfillment of giving, coupled with the thought that one has contributed to addressing societal and environmental problems, uplift the spirit and inspire one to strive for greater heights.
Volunteering for climate action and disaster resilience is a worthwhile endeavor. Regardless of one's age, whether young or old, everyone can make a difference because caring for the Earth is everybody's responsibility. There are many simple ways to contribute, such as participating in waste segregation campaigns, joining tree-growing activities, and serving as a member of a rescue or relief operations team, among many others.
Such voluntary acts may not provide monetary rewards, but they undoubtedly give a sense of purpose, keep one grounded, and bring a beautiful and genuine smile that comes from a fulfilled heart.



No comments:
Post a Comment